Monday, May 23, 2011

Strip Saturdays

Saturday was probably the nicest day Pittsburgh has had this year, which made it the perfect opportunity for our first summer trip to Pittsburgh's strip district. We browsed cooking supplies, Asian grocery stores, Greek grocery stores, and ate our weight in samples. Pretty much the best everything Pittsburgh has related to food and cooking can be found in the strip. Feeling inspired, we decided to make an international dinner.

Devin whipped up guac. and plantain chips, and bruschetta on fresh Italian bread. With some assistance from Alyssa, of course:



Beyond delicious. I was so excited about the bruschetta Devin had to remind me to take a picture. And I promise, it was even better then it looks.



While we were munching on our appetizers, Don had been working on his soup.

Chopping away with Devin's slice-printer-paper-in-half knife:


Making the broth:


Finished product!



Lastly for desert, I made a batch of my chocolate tofu moose. Yes, you read that right. And if you didn't know it had tofu in it, you would have know idea. Though I'll admit, initially it looks kind of gross:

I would include the recipe, but since I was making it at Devin's place, it turned into a mismatch of every version I'd ever tried (albeit still delicious).

The moose post-blender. My favorite thing about making the moose that I have an excuse to use the magic :bullet.



I had bought strawberries at the strip and figure they'd be the perfect topping. Alyssa came up with the brilliant idea to cut them all fancy:


She's such a good helper.


 And then our final product! (served in fancy glasses courtesy of Devin)


We spend the rest of the night nursing our food babies but it was well worth it. I couldn't have asked for a better Saturday. 

Hope you enjoyed! I'm sure there are typo's but I really wanted to get this up. We're totally open to suggestions so feel free to leave them! (Just be nice ;)  )

No comments:

Post a Comment