Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day Tarts!

So as Dana said I am typically not the one to make the sweets but for Memorial Day dinner we had nothing for dessert, so I went to my favorite cooking blog Picky Palate and found something that looked good and then experimented. I made 2 tarts and the pictures show the process of both. First I used her recipe to make a peanut butter chocolate chip. And then since my dad is not too fond of chocolate I decided to improvise a fruit tart using that recipe as a guide.

So here are the ingredients






Butter, cream cheese, graham crackers, sugar, brown sugar, heavy cream, peanut butter and semi sweet chocolate chips.

First I made a crust using 9 graham crackers(one sleeve) by mashing up the crackers very fine and then mixing it with 4 tbsp of butter and 3 tbsp of sugar. Then coat the bottom of your pan (I used a pie pan since we didnt have a tart pan) with this mixture. Then bake this at 350 for about 10 minutes. Put it on a cooling rack and let it sit while you do the next part.

 Then you mix the peanut butter, cream cheese, heavy cream, brown sugar together adding half of the chocolate chips.





At this point it tastes delicious already ahaha.

Then while waiting for the other crust to chill, I started the second. This one I used the exact recipe, removing the peanut butter and chocolate chips and replacing them with the same amount of vanilla yogurt and a fruit puree(Exactly I used 4 strawberries the whole thing of red raspberries and 2 handfuls of blueberries). I also used nilla waffers for the crust because I felt graham crackers might be odd.
 Nilla waffers, yogurt, sugar, brown sugar, cream cheese, strawberries, raspberries, heavy whipping cream, blueberries(not pictured), (and I did not use the preserves pictured)

Mix the crust the same with the nilla waffers and sugar and butter and bake it. Then mix the cream cheese yogurt, brown sugar heavy cream together. Then I made the puree using 4 strawberries the whole thing of red raspberries and 2 handfuls of blueberries. Mixing it with a blender until liquid. I then used a mixer to mix about half of what I created into the liquid mixture(To taste but be careful adding too much might make it not get too solid).

(My mother helping out)



By then the crust for the first tart had chilled and we added the mixture, the other half of the chocolate chips and put it into the freezer.
Then mixing the puree into the liquids for the fruit we have we poured it into the nilla waffer crust and put it in the freezer.

The peanut butter chocolate one set up really quickly, but the fruit one had to sit much longer (about an hour) then you can either top the fruit with fresh fruit (like I did ) or use the leftover puree. But the final product turned out to be this


Everyone agreed either peanutbutter chocolate or fruit, they loved it!

2 comments:

  1. Both look so yummy! I definitely wouldn't be able to choose between them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I had a piece of both :)
    - nick

    ReplyDelete