Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Oats!

I know it's been a week and a day, but bear with us, Nick and I are still doing this miles and miles apart. Cooking has been happening- but my documentation has been lacking. Sorry!

I've been addicted to quick cooking oatmeal since the fall. I'm not sure how it really started, but somehow I started eating oatmeal on a daily basis (I guess it goes hand in hand with my obsession with breakfast). Anyhow, the more I read about oats, the more I learned about all the different types there were. In the spring I got some spiffy multigrain oats from the East End Co-op. And after reading about them for a few months, I finally picked up some steel cut oats.

The only downside to steel cut oats is that they take at least 35 minutes to cook. Besides that - they are incredible. The texture is way different. But kind of awesome? And the best part is you can make ahead of time and eat it all week (like I do.. I know, I know, no one else likes oatmeal THAT much).

Like regular oatmeal, all you need are oats and boiling water:


Then let it boil for another five minutes until the oatmeal begins to thicken. Then just let it simmer for 30 minutes - be careful it's not boiling! Or you're pot will be super hard to clean.



When it looks thick, and most of the liquid has been absorbed, you're probably done (like the picture directly above). I distribute it into containers equally. Then you can add whatever topping you want :) fresh fruit, raisins, chocolate, cinnamon, brown sugar...or, my personal favorite, honey!



And now I can go to bed super excited about breakfast tomorrow!

(I'm an old person) Goodnight!

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy, I'm going to try this with maple sryup soon

    ReplyDelete