Sunday, June 19, 2011

Brownie Thursday

Ok, so I realize the average college student participates in thirsty Thursday... but this week I was totally craving brownies. And I've been meaning to make this recipe for a while. I first about the concept of black bean brownies in the fall- and I thought, ew, wtf, why would you add black beans to perfectly good brownies? But then I did some research, and found that apparently they just made the brownies super moist (and were also a gluten free alternative- which is cool even though I have no problems with gluten).

And if there's black beans in them, it totally justifies eating half the pan in one sitting, right?


After a full day of browsing black bean brownie recipes (I promise I do other work at my co-op.. occasionally), I settled on this recipe via foodgawker,

The ingredients were conveniently things I had on hand (well, except the eggs, but I needed eggs anyway, and it was an excuse to run to CVS).


The trick to making the beans unnoticeable is pulverizing them, Which of course, was another excuse to break out the magic bullet

The processed beans looked oddly like a cookies and cream milkshake..



Then I did that thing you usually do with brownies (added the rest of the ingredients + extra sugar and chocolate powder and poured it into a baking dish):


After thirty minutes or so (longer than the recipe had said, but I might have have used a different pan...or our oven is awful, whatever), they were done.



Anna (home from Kenya!), Alyssa, and I ate it immediately in its molten hot form...and it was kind of strange, but delicious. I thought it got better as it set though. I froze the rest of it so I'll have snacks for a while and it won't get stale (I hate wasted baked goods!).

I think I'd try a different recipe next time (maybe a gluten one). But overall, the recipe was real easy, and you couldn't taste the beans. And there's nothing wrong with a guiltless brownie.








No comments:

Post a Comment