Sunday, June 12, 2011

Kale?

Hey guys!

Nick and I are still apart. We almost met up for the Pirates game on Saturday, but nothing about that game seemed to work out for me (I did get to see the fireworks though, so I can't really complain).

Back to the food....

I've been cooking all damn day for no particular reason. So far I've made:
zucchini pizza boats
     -They're absolutely delicious, and a perfect way to sneak in veggies when pizza is what you're really craving. I've even gotten my veggie-hating friends to eat them. Beth's whole blog is dedicated to cheap and easy (and tasty) recipes. If you've never heard of it, it's definitely worth checking out

curry hummus
     -I go through a container of hummus a week. It's definitely in my top five favorite foods (which is saying something). And it's pretty healthy. I try to switch up the kinds I make. I made average, garlic hummus last week, and was munching of Trader Joe's before that so I thought a change was in order. I'm not sure how I feel about this recipe- it's not bad, just real different.

and finally....
kale chips!
     -I've wanted to make these since I first saw them around the food/health blogs world a few months ago. A) they look delicious, and B) kale is on of those superfoods. I was a little skeptical though - how sense does it make, really, that you can make a bitter green taste GOOD with a little olive and salt, not to mean, cook it just so that it's not crispy and doesn't burn. But when the farmer's market just happened to have kale on Wednesday I figured it was worth a shot. I decided to use Deb's recipe since her blog has never failed me.

First thing first, I washed the kale thoroughly (I'll be honest, it still had dirt on it, but I figured that contributed to its freshness?). Then I chopped of the stems, and cut the leaves into more manageable pieces.



One of the best things about this recipe was that it only called for two ingredients. 

And not much of either at that. I drizzled a tablespoon of olive oil over the kale and guesstimated on the salt. Then just tossed it until all the kale was covered.


Then I spread the leaves onto two large baking sheets. I have a vendetta again cleaning baking sheets (seriously, is there a way to scrub the whole thing without spraying yourself with the faucet?), so I lined them with foil..


And after twenty minutes at 300 degrees...


They turned out beautifully. Not comparable to... well really anything. They're paper thin but absolutely filled and favor. And they don't fill you up at all (for better or for worse). Even Alyssa joined me in devouring half the batch:


We did manage to save enough for me to take to work Monday and Tuesday.

I was absolutely thrilled with how they turned out. I really hope the farmers market has kale again this week.

Hopefully nick and I will being making something fun later this week. Until then, have a good week everyone!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad the kale chips turned out. I love them, although I do wish they were more filling.

    ReplyDelete