Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Best of Fall in a Single Cookie

I don't know about you, but when I read/hear anything about the flavors "pumpkin," "ginger," or "molasses" I immediately think of the months October, November, and December. And what better way to celebrate the season (/ console myself that the weather is actually getting colder now) than to make a recipe to combines all three?

Eat, Me, Delicious had posted this recipe for Pumpkin, Ginger, Molasses Cookies last Monday. And with my first few hours of the week on Friday (yeah, it was one of those weeks) I knew I had to make them. I had a suspicion I knew someone who'd be all about helping me, so I invited Kyle over to help:


(Yep, I'm super lucky, and my boyfriend actually likes baking with me. Or he's a really good liar).

I had the ingredients on hand for the most part. I was a tablespoon short on the butter, so I just added two extra teaspoons of olive oil. 


It was pretty much your basic cookies recipe. I liked that it called for whole wheat flour from the beginning. I creamed the butter and sugar, and Kyle measured and mixed the flour and spices



I didn't realize the dough was supposed to be refrigerated for an hour before baking when we started, and I was kind of short on time (FeelGood was making sandwiches for The Original Magazine's Release Party - shameless plug, I know). Instead I put it in the freezer for 20 minutes or so and that seemed to do the trick. 

Next, we rolled balls of dough in sugar and put them on the baking sheet. Kyle gets most of the credit for this since I was running around cleaning and getting ready.



I think we ended up making them larger than we were supposed to. They took almost 20 minutes per batch (vs. 10-12 min) and we only got about 2.5 dozen (instead of 3.5). However, it did give us an excuse to eat them immediately when we took them out of the oven though! (Had to make sure they were done, right?)



The sugar baked into them more than the original recipe, or at least that's what I figure from the pictures. Either way- these were delicious! (and also fantastic with ice cream, if you're feeling adventurous). Christmas cookie season is quickly approaching and I can definitely say that this recipe will be repeated.

Happy Early Thanksgiving!






No comments:

Post a Comment